What is the meaning of having teeth falling out dream? Many of us often fail to see any significance in our dreams.
Others, however, are now waking up to the idea that dreams are in fact visions. Our subconscious mind is constantly at work trying to communicate with our consciousness.
The mind’s best means of communication is via dreams and nightmares.
While in REM sleep, we tend to be more susceptible to ideas and suggestions. Therefore, our mind intelligently attempts to give us epiphanies while at rest.
Dreams about teeth falling out (or nightmares for some) are more common than you think.
The typical dream scenarios include having your teeth crumble in your hands, fall out one by one with just a light tap, grow crooked or start to rot.
Such dreams are not only horrifying and shocking, but they often leave you with a lasting image of the dream. So what does it mean?
One theory is that dreams about your teeth reflect your anxieties about your appearance and how others perceive you.
Your teeth help to convey an image of attractiveness and play a major role in the game of flirtation, whether it is flashing those pearly white, kissing or necking.
Thus, such dreams may stem from a fear of rejection, sexual impotence or the consequences of getting old.
To support this notion, a dream research found that women in menopause report to have frequent dreams about teeth.
This points to teeth dreams as being related to getting older and feeling unattractive and less feminine. Teeth are an important feature to your attractiveness and how you are presented to others.
Caring about how you look is natural and healthy.
Another rationalization for these teeth falling out dream may be rooted in your fear of being embarrassed or making a fool of yourself in some situation. These dreams are an over-exaggeration of your worries and anxieties.
Perhaps you feel that you are unprepared for the task at hand. However, you will find that your fears are unfounded in most cases. Sometimes what plays out in your mind is far worse than what it really is.
Teeth are used to bite, tear, chew and gnaw. In this regard, teeth symbolize power. And the loss of teeth in your dream may be from a sense of powerlessness. Do you lack power in some current situation? Perhaps you are having difficulties expressing yourself or getting your point across.
You feel frustrated when your voice is not being heard. You may be experiencing feelings of inferiority and a lack of self-confidence in some situation or relationship in your life. This dream may be an indication that you need to be more assertive and believe in the importance of what you have to say.
Traditionally, it was thought that dreaming that you did not have teeth, represent malnutrition or poor diet. This notion may still apply to some dreamers.
Deciphering the meaning of this dream can be a confusing process. We have the luxury to interpret this dream in a positive or negative light, after all, everything in dreams is supposed to be symbolic. We’ll start with the good news.
What do Dreams About Teeth Falling Out Mean?
These teeth falling our dream symbol has both negative and positive meanings. Let’s start with the positive ones:
- A moment of personal growth: We couldn’t wait for our teeth to fall out when we were kids. We would tie one end of a string to our loose tooth and the other end to a doorknob. Our parents would count, “one…two…” and slam the door shut before getting to three.
The pain we felt was nothing compared to the next morning when a dollar replaced the tooth under the pillow. Teeth falling out dream can be seen as a moment of growth.
A modern perspective emphasizes teeth as a symbol of the process of growing up, expanding and developing yourself.
A tooth falling out during childhood is often the first time we experience the loss of something that is a part of us.
It also represents a time when we get tangible signs that we are growing up out of childhood and transitioning into a new phase of our life.
In dreams, this symbol represents the passage from one situation or one order to another. Dreaming that your teeth fall out could, therefore, signal that you are in the process of changing, growing out of the old into the new.
While you are in the midst of change, the process may feel like you are losing something or leaving a familiar environment or habit and jumping into the unknown or the unfamiliarity of a new place, job, relationship or way of doing and seeing things.
As with any significant change in one’s life, this might be disturbing or even scary or painful – just like when something happens to your teeth.
Transition times can also be seen as periods of discovery and personal growth.
- Moms & Childhood: For those lacking braveness as kids, our mothers would convince us that everything would be okay. This feeling was ever more present in moments of pain and distress.
Losing teeth was not easy for everyone, with fear of the unknown taking hold.
Our mother’s ability to ease the anxiety we felt gave us an overwhelming feeling of joy. We still crave that nurturing touch, and it’s not necessarily a bad thing. Teeth falling out in dreams points to a moment of growth where we must make tough decisions.
Decisions our parents would make for us during childhood. Be aware of this and act accordingly. Do not stray away from the need to be loved and nurtured.
Teeth falling out dream are therefore likely to come up when one is struggling with problems or difficulties that seem insurmountable or when you’re facing challenging decisions.
It’s also an indication that you’re confronted with a period of potential growth that could turn out positive if you pay attention to the delicate balance between your needs and the requirements of the moment.
- Self-Reflection: Perhaps the greatest benefit of dreaming that your teeth are uncontrollably leaving your mouth is that it invites you to take a hard look at yourself. What am I doing right or wrong? Can I do more of to feel in control of my life?
Self-awareness can lead us to make decisions we would have had trouble with otherwise.
Dreams go unnoticed most of the time, but the meanings of teeth falling out are too important to ignore. Reflect on past decisions and see which sector of your life this dream applies to most.
Do not brush this off as just another nightmare of losing teeth.
Listen to your subconscious telling you to grow!
- Rebirth: When something dies, something new is born in its place. Prominent psychologist and dream analyst Carl Jung had a more positive take on dreams about teeth falling out. He argued that teeth fall out and then grow back in during childhood, so dreaming of this may be a sign of rebirth as you make a significant life transition.
This meaning was especially applied when a woman was dreaming of her teeth falling out. Jung believed that dreaming of fallen teeth meant the imminent birth of a child or a drastic change in relationships and career.
Whatever it may be, one thing is for sure: teeth falling out dream is a sign that something in your life is soon to change for better or worse.
- Oral Hygiene: To dream that your teeth are rotting or falling out can be seen as your subconscious mind hinting at improving your oral care. For whatever reason, people sometimes neglect their teeth despite the unbearable pain.
Ask yourself how you felt when your teeth were falling out. Look past the initial concern you felt and evaluate why your teeth were leaving your mouth.
Once you noticed, did you remove any teeth yourself? Did you ever attempt to close your mouth, or did you simply let the teeth flow?
If there was little to no struggle, everything indicates that dental care is necessary. Teeth falling out dream are universal.
All ages and cultures report this phenomenon, and try to explain it thoroughly. Next to dreams of falling or being chased, a dream of your teeth falling out is the number one reported nightmare.
Worry not, though, since the meaning can be as simple as “you need to visit the dentist”!
Negative Meanings of Teeth Falling Out Dream
- Love Lost: Insecurities about your personal life are usually the leading factors in prompting dreams where you lose your teeth. This dream can come to us when we are afraid to lose someone special or when we want what we cannot have.
Our own physical and mental insecurities only serve to make us self-conscious. The vicious cycle is evident in dreams of tooth loss, making us unable to cope with the painful reality.
What we want is a positive change that will bring about abundance and prosperity. By accepting who you are and not worrying about other’s opinion, you can turn this dream into an eye-opening experience.
Love yourself, and you won’t ever fear the absence of another person in your life.
- Bad Choices: Dreaming about losing your teeth or tooth decay, can be directly correlated with decisions you regret making. Past decisions can come back to haunt us, especially while we sleep. Right before bed, most of us marinate on decisions made throughout the day.
Negative thoughts before bed leave a lingering bitterness in our brain that makes way for bad dreams. If you’re on the fence about a decision you must soon make, dreams of fallen teeth can be quite common
- Indecision: Regretting a decision you’ve made can most likely be the reason for your dream.
A lack of decision-making can also summon such dreams. Being indecisive is a major reason why we dream of our teeth falling out.
There is nothing worse for us as humans than being stuck in limbo or the gray area. When confronted with a fork in the road, either path is better than staying at a standstill and having someone else choose for you.
Teeth falling out dream may be your mind telling you to be more decisive in life. Take control of every action and reaction that occurs in your life. Become responsible for the inaction you’ve exhibited in the past.
I’m not telling you what to do. It is your subconscious mind urging you to become the best version of yourself through vivid imagery in dreams.
- Poor Hygiene: Bad teeth is a very common problem among people of all cultures. Sometimes the funds are not readily available when in need of proper dental care. An overwhelming sensation of helplessness washes over those who lack confidence due to their teeth.
We tend to seek a deeper message to dreams of falling teeth when in reality, our appearance has a lot to do with it. Human beings are shallow by nature.
How people see us is usually just as important, if not more important, than how we see ourselves. Our insecurities reflect in our dreams and nightmares.
Ridding yourself of this nightmare can be as easy as joining a gym, finally eating healthy, or getting a teeth whitening.
- Freudian: The most controversial explanation for losing teeth in a dream comes from the Austrian neurologist Sigmund Freud. The father of psychoanalysis believed dreams of fallen teeth were related to the male genitalia. (Bear with me on this one.)
Freud believed this dream to be a sign of sexual anxiety in both men and women. Teeth falling out dream represented castration for Freud, thus bringing about feelings of powerlessness.
The intensity and rate at which the teeth fall can also be indications of what exactly it is that’s frustrating you. Ten minutes after waking up, most people forget what they dreamt. Teeth falling out dream is unforgettable, but write it down anyway.
Writing down your dream can help in understanding what your subconscious mind is trying to communicate.
Other Teeth Falling Out Dream Interpretations
- Biblical/Correction by God: You may or may not be spiritual but some believe these types of dreams are God telling us to not put our faith in what man thinks but in God’s words. This is a scriptural interpretation of teeth falling out. According to the Bible, God speaks to us in a vision or dream so as to hide pride from us. He wants to instruct us and correct us by opening our ears spiritually.
- Sickness or near death: In the Greek culture, dreaming of your teeth falling out could mean a family member or someone close to you is very sick or may be nearing death.
- Being a liar: Chinese culture interprets dreams of losing teeth as being deceitful since they believe your teeth fall out when you tell a lie. The significance of your dream may vary each time, but losing teeth in your sleep can affect the rest of your day.
- Money: The tooth fairy story tells that you will get money if you lose a tooth and place it under your pillow. Although this is an old story, some people believe that dreams of teeth falling out means good luck when it comes to money.
- Fear of Change: Most of us fear change and it is said that this fear can be reflected in teeth falling out in dreams. During childhood and adulthood, losing teeth is part of the transition so tooth loss is associated with fear of change. This may be related to your career or in your relationships or to death.
With so many different meanings to one single dream, we can easily get lost in interpretation so to speak. When deciphering your dream, make sure to evaluate your surroundings, as they will provide more insight into the meaning of your dream.
Your position in life can alter the dream’s meaning, often occurring multiple times in someone’s life.
Teeth falling our dream can be related to vanity, health issues, health concerns, or fear of death – yours or someone close to you. We hope you find comfort in knowing now the nature of dreaming about your teeth falling out.
Is your dream telling you to visit the dentist? send us a message, we are here to help you!