Have you ever dreamt about your teeth falling out? Many of us often fail to see any significance in our dreams. Others, however, are now waking up to the idea that dreams are in fact visions. Our subconscious mind is constantly at work trying to communicate with our consciousness. The mind’s best means of communication is via dreams and nightmares. While in REM sleep, we tend to be more susceptible to ideas and suggestions. Therefore, our mind intelligently attempts to give us epiphanies while at rest. A recurring dream – a nightmare for most – is that of teeth crumbling with ease from our mouths and into our hands. Dreaming about your teeth falling out can be pretty terrifying. Deciphering the meaning of this dream can be a confusing process. We have the luxury to interpret this dream in a positive or negative light, after all, everything in dreams is supposed to be symbolic. We’ll start with the good news.
What do dreams about teeth falling out mean?
Positive Meanings of Teeth Falling Out Dream:
1) Growing Pains – We couldn’t wait for our teeth to fall out when we were kids. We would tie one end of a string to our loose tooth and the other end to a doorknob. Our parents would count, “one…two…” and slam the door shut before getting to three. The pain we felt was nothing compared to the next morning when a dollar replaced the tooth under the pillow. Dreaming of your teeth falling out can be seen as a moment of growth. A moment where we exchange a part of ourselves for a reward that is usually monetary. Meanings vary depending on the person and the situation, but they all go hand-in-hand.
2) Love, Mom – For those lacking braveness as kids, our mothers would convince us that everything would be okay. This feeling was evermore present in moments of pain and distress. Losing teeth was not easy for everyone, with fear of the unknown taking hold. Our mother’s ability to ease the anxiety we felt gave us an overwhelming feeling of joy. We still crave that nurturing touch, and it’s not necessarily a bad thing. Teeth falling out in dreams points to a moment of growth where we must make tough decisions. Decisions our parents would make for us during childhood. Be aware of this and act accordingly. Do not stray away from the need to be loved and nurtured.
3) Self-Reflection – Perhaps the greatest benefit of dreaming that your teeth are uncontrollably leaving your mouth is that it invites you to take a hard look at yourself. What am I doing wrong? What am I doing right? What can I do more of to feel in control of my life? Self-awareness can lead us to make decisions we would have had trouble with otherwise. Dreams go unnoticed most of the time, but the meanings of teeth falling out are too important to ignore. Reflect on past decisions and see which sector of your life this dream applies to most. Do not brush this off as just another nightmare of losing teeth. Listen to your subconscious telling you to grow!
4) Rebirth – When something dies, something new is born in its place. A psychologist and dream analyst, C.G. Jung was a huge influence in dream interpretation during the 20th century. He believed that teeth falling out in your dream meant the birth of something new. This meaning was especially applied when a woman was dreaming of her teeth falling out. Jung believed that dreaming of fallen teeth meant the imminent birth of a child or a drastic change in relationships and career. Whatever it may be, one thing is for sure: dreaming that your teeth are falling out is a sign that something in your life is soon to change for better or worse.
5) Oral Hygiene – To dream that your teeth are rotting or falling out can be seen as your subconscious mind hinting at improving your oral care. For whatever reason, people sometimes neglect their teeth despite the unbearable pain. Ask yourself how you felt when your teeth were falling out. Look past the initial concern you felt and evaluate why your teeth were leaving your mouth. Once you noticed, did you remove any teeth yourself? Did you ever attempt to close your mouth, or did you simply let the teeth flow? If there was little to no struggle, everything indicates that dental care is necessary. Dreams of teeth falling are universal. All ages and cultures report this phenomenon, and try to explain it thoroughly. Next to dreams of falling or being chased, a dream of your teeth falling out is the number one reported nightmare. Worry not, though, since the meaning can be as simple as “you need to visit the dentist”!
Negative Meanings of Teeth Falling Out Dream:
1) Love Lost – Insecurities about your personal life are usually the leading factors in prompting dreams where you lose your teeth. This dream can come to us when we are afraid to lose someone special or when we want what we cannot have. Our own physical and mental insecurities only serve to make us self-conscious. The vicious cycle is evident in dreams of tooth loss, making us unable to cope with the painful reality. What we want is a positive change that will bring about abundance and prosperity. By accepting who you are and not worrying about other’s opinion, you can turn this dream into an eye-opening experience. Love yourself, and you won’t ever fear the absence of another person in your life.
2) Bad Choices – Dreaming about losing your teeth or tooth decay, can be directly correlated with decisions you regret making. Past decisions can come back to haunt us, especially while we sleep. Right before bed, most of us marinate on decisions made throughout the day. Negative thoughts before bed leave a lingering bitterness in our brain that makes way for bad dreams. If you’re on the fence about a decision you must soon make, dreams of fallen teeth can be quite common. Look at this as an opportunity to do the right thing before having to retrace your steps to see where you went wrong.
3) Indecision – Regretting a decision you’ve made can most likely be the reason for your dream. A lack of decision-making can also summon such dreams. Being indecisive is a major reason why we dream of our teeth falling out. There is nothing worse for us as humans than being stuck in limbo or the gray area. When confronted with a fork in the road, either path is better than staying at a standstill and having someone else choose for you. Dreaming of your teeth falling out may be your mind telling you to be more decisive in life. Take control of every action and reaction that occurs in your life. Become responsible for the inaction you’ve exhibited in the past. I’m not telling you what to do. It is your subconscious mind urging you to become the best version of yourself through vivid imagery in dreams.
4) Poor Hygiene – Bad teeth is a very common problem among people of all cultures. Sometimes the funds are not readily available when in need of proper dental care. An overwhelming sensation of helplessness washes over those who lack confidence due to their teeth. We tend to seek a deeper message to dreams of falling teeth when in reality, our appearance has a lot to do with it. Human beings are shallow by nature. How people see us is usually just as important, if not more important, than how we see ourselves. Our insecurities reflect in our dreams and nightmares. Ridding yourself of this nightmare can be as easy as joining a gym, finally eating healthy, or getting a teeth whitening.
5) Freudian – The most controversial explanation for losing teeth in a dream comes from the Austrian neurologist Siegmund Freud. The father of psychoanalysis believed dreams of fallen teeth were related to the male genitalia. (Bear with me on this one.) Freud believed this dream to be a sign of sexual anxiety in both men and women. Teeth falling out in dreams represented castration for Freud, thus bringing about feelings of powerlessness. The intensity and rate at which the teeth fall can also be indications of what exactly it is that’s frustrating you. Ten minutes after waking up, most people forget what they dreamt. Dreaming of your teeth falling out is unforgettable, but write it down anyway. Writing down your dream can help in understanding what your subconscious mind is trying to communicate.
With so many different meanings to one single dream, we can easily get lost in interpretation so to speak. When deciphering your dream, make sure to evaluate your surroundings, as they will provide more insight into the meaning of your dream. Your position in life can alter the dream’s meaning, often occurring multiple times in someone’s life. Dreaming that your teeth are falling out can be related to vanity, health issues, wealth concerns, or fear of death – yours or someone close to you. Chinese culture interprets dreams of losing teeth as being deceitful since they believe your teeth fall out when you tell a lie. The significance of your dream may vary each time, but losing teeth in your sleep can affect the rest of your day. We hope you find comfort in knowing now the nature of dreaming about your teeth falling out.