An itchy roof of the mouth (or palate) is commonly an indicator of a symptom caused by allergies or fungal infections. It can be just a small reaction or an indicator of a life-threatening condition.
Sometimes it also comes with other symptoms, like watery eyes, sneezes, dry cough, itching inside the ears, and swelling in the throat or lips. The duration of these symptoms can vary, but it ranges from five to ten minutes.
This is often more common in young people and children. And to measure how bad or how severe the case is, let’s see what some of the indicators are:
There are various causes for this issue. We’ll explore some of them and how you can treat them.
Such a small reaction can be a cause of multiple different issues, such as the following:
It can be triggered by specific food or things like pollen. You could suffer from oral allergy syndrome. This condition tends to appear in adulthood, and it can affect you when eating certain foods that have proteins with a similar structure as pollen.
Some foods that might trigger this allergy are celery, tomatoes, oranges, apples, carrots, melons, hazelnuts, and almonds.
Usually, this type of allergy only lasts for about 20 minutes, but you still must be careful and take any necessary measures. If it worsens, it can become an emergency. The symptoms that manifest with this condition are itchy ear canals, mouth, tongue, and throat. As well as swelling around the mouth and an odd taste.
The way to treat this type of allergic reaction is to take special medication for allergies. Also known as antihistamines, these can also be considered an over-the-counter drug that works effectively with minor allergies.
However, if your airway starts to get affected, the best course of action is to go immediately to the emergency room.
This is a much more severe condition, which is the result of an allergic reaction.
It generally starts by having moderate symptoms such as an itchy sensation, swelling in the mouth, hives, runny nose, watery eyes, dizziness, rapid heart rate, or fainting. You may also experience difficulty breathing and nasal congestion.
In these cases, you must be taken to the hospital immediately. This is considered a life-threatening medical condition.
Oral thrush takes place when a yeast infection begins by developing in your mouth. It takes the form of yellowish or white bumps that start to pop up on the inner cheeks and tongue.
Some common symptoms include an itchy roof of mouth, no sense of taste, redness, bleeding, and a painful sensation. This issue is more common in toddlers or people with a more weak immune system.
The treatment for this will typically consist of taking prescribed antifungal treatments, which could be pills or mouthwash.
These red blisters that appear in the mouth’s outer areas (or other parts of the face) are caused by a common virus called herpes simplex (HSV-1). These tend to last for about two weeks or even longer.
The way you can acquire cold smores is by coming in contact with someone who is infected either through sharing food, physical contact (like kisses), or sharing personal stuff such as cosmetic products. The main symptom that indicates this issue is an itching sensation around the mouth.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for cold sores. And although they’re treatable and preventable, they could still come back at times when your immune system is weak or under high levels of stress.
Other than the virus that causes cold sores, viruses that affect your respiratory tract. The common cold or the flu can also cause your mouth to be itchy. You might even be more familiar with the symptoms that come with these infections: sneezes, fever, sore throat, runny nose, headaches, among others.
The treatment for this is to take an antiviral medication and take care of yourself by resting and drinking many fluids.
If you start experiencing an itchy roof of the mouth, you are likely having another condition, either an allergy or a virus that is about to affect your health. The symptoms of some of the issues mentioned above are quite similar, so trying to diagnose yourself might not be the best idea.
You could classify the reactions into two categories; mild and severe. When it comes to mild reactions, the symptoms will generally disappear by themselves in a short period. It can also be treated with generic, over-the-counter medications.
With severe reactions, the use of epinephrine or antihistamines will be more necessary. This is to take care of any emergencies that could arise. You must be careful and act according to the severity of the symptoms, so visiting the emergency room might also be required.
Always have in mind that the best thing to do when getting these signs in your body is to schedule an appointment with a doctor or a dentist (although you’ll most likely need to visit a hospital.) It is absolutely critical that you treat yourself on time, so the problem doesn’t get worse.
Ultimately, a professional doctor will be able to give you a proper diagnosis that’ll allow you to heal and recover successfully.
If you want the opinion of an experienced dentist Trust Dental Care is here for you. We can assist you with this or any other oral health issues you could be struggling with. Take advantage of our fantastic promotions and have the best dental experience.